Skip to content

COVID 19 Web Banner OP2

COVID 19 Web Banner OP2

Report Local Issues

Report Local Issues

Noxious Weeds

A weed can be defined simply as a plant that is growing in the wrong place. Some weeds are declared as noxious due to their impact on human health, agriculture or the environment.

Each year, the Australian agricultural industry loses millions of dollars as a direct result of noxious and environmental weeds. Due to their invasive nature these weeds rob the soil of valuable nutrients and moisture, as well as rendering large tracts of productive grazing land virtually useless. Adding to this massive financial burden are the issues of human and animal health and the general state of our fragile environment, all of which can be seriously affected by weeds.

Correct disposal of unwanted plants and maintaining strict control of propogations, sale and use of declared noxious plants is paramount to controlling the spread of these damaging plants. The Noxious Weeds Act 1993 prescribed a framework of legislation to deal with the control of declared noxious weeds in NSW.

What's the difference between declared noxious weeds and environmental weeds?

Noxious weeds are weeds that you have a legal obligation to control under the Noxious Weeds Act 1993. If you don't remove these weeds it can lead to court proceedings and in some cases, very large fines.
Environmental weeds are weeds which you have no legal obligation to control, but in most cases it is good practice to remove them.

What does Council do about weeds?

Gunnedah Shire Council's Noxious Weeds Officer, manages and controls noxious and environmental weeds within the local government area to ensure compliance with all relevant acts, regulations, and standards.

In an effort to raise awareness of noxious weeds, our Council, through its Noxious Weeds department is providing residents with information on a number of declared noxious weeds that may be found growing in our urban environment. Please contact our Noxious Weeds Officer on the below number or drop-in to Council's administration building at 63 Elgin street where we have a number of information pamphlets and booklets.

For further information regarding any of the above please contact Council's Senior Weeds Officer, Mr Lee Amidy on 02 6740 2225.

Additional weed information can also be found on DPIs WeedWise page


What can you do about neighbourhood noise? In the first instance, approaching the person making the noise may solve the problem amicably. Often people are unaware their activi...

Waste & Illegal Dumping

Dumping Unwanted Goods is Illegal Illegal dumping is an environmental, economic and social problem because it: pollutes our waterways through the stormwater system is a waste...

Graffiti & Vandalism

Graffiti is the act of marking or defacing property without permission. Its prevention and removal is very costly. The best thing you can do to help reduce graffiti and vandal...


Domestic Animals Roaming and/or dangerous domestic animals should should be reported to Council and our Ranger will be notified to tend to the animals. Roaming and/or dangeous...

Maintenance Issues

Council maintains parks, playgrounds, reserves and sporting fields, public roads, footpaths and public infrastructure, for example: grass cutting repair playgrounds eg: swings...

Noxious Weeds

A weed can be defined simply as a plant that is growing in the wrong place. Some weeds are declared as noxious due to their impact on human health, agriculture or the environm...

Essential Energy

For more information regarding Essential Energy services, general enquiries, power outages and faulty street lights, please contact Essential Energy using the details below:

How to report abandoned Coles trolleys

Seen an abandoned Coles trolley? To ensure shopping trolleys are kept off the streets and in stores for customers to use, Coles has developed a new method of reporting abandon...