Skip to content

COVID 19 Web Banner OP2

COVID 19 Web Banner OP2

Report Local Issues

Report Local Issues


Domestic Animals

Roaming and/or dangerous domestic animals should should be reported to Council and our Ranger will be notified to tend to the animals. Roaming and/or dangeous animals will be impounded by Council and held for a statutory period in which time they can be collected by their owners. For further details please see our Animal Pound section.

Native Animals - Snakes, Possums, Koalas, Kangaroos and other Protected Species

Contact WIRES (Wildlife Information, Rescue & Education Services) to report an injured animal or to report a snake that is posing a threat.
Wires: Phone: 1300 094 737.

Magpie Attacks

For most of the year magpies are not aggressive, but for four to six weeks during nesting they will often defend their territory vigorously. People walking past may be seen as 'invaders' of the territory, prompting the magpies to fly low and fast over the person.

Magpies and the Law

Magpies are protected throughout NSW, and it is against the law to kill the birds, collect their eggs, or harm their young. If you feel a magpie is a serious menace, it should be reported to the police or the nearest office of the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS).

National Parks and Wildlife Service – Coonabarabran Office
Phone: 02 6842 0200

The NPWS can issue a Section 120 License to the owner of the property where the magpie is located. This license allows the property owner to ”harm native fauna”. However, the person given the responsibility of destroying/removing the bird, must also obtain a Section 121 License.

Say no to native animals as pets

We know we have amazing wildlife literally on our doorstep, but please don't think about keeping any as pets. The Council does not endorse keeping snakes or other native Australian wildlife as pets.
As the RSPCA states, such animals are "adapted to the wild, rarely enjoy human company or handling and are predominantly nocturnal in their habits".
Let's leave them in their own homes, not ours.


What can you do about neighbourhood noise? In the first instance, approaching the person making the noise may solve the problem amicably. Often people are unaware their activi...

Waste & Illegal Dumping

Dumping Unwanted Goods is Illegal Illegal dumping is an environmental, economic and social problem because it: pollutes our waterways through the stormwater system is a waste...

Graffiti & Vandalism

Graffiti is the act of marking or defacing property without permission. Its prevention and removal is very costly. The best thing you can do to help reduce graffiti and vandal...


Domestic Animals Roaming and/or dangerous domestic animals should should be reported to Council and our Ranger will be notified to tend to the animals. Roaming and/or dangeous...

Maintenance Issues

Council maintains parks, playgrounds, reserves and sporting fields, public roads, footpaths and public infrastructure, for example: grass cutting repair playgrounds eg: swings...

Noxious Weeds

A weed can be defined simply as a plant that is growing in the wrong place. Some weeds are declared as noxious due to their impact on human health, agriculture or the environm...

Essential Energy

For more information regarding Essential Energy services, general enquiries, power outages and faulty street lights, please contact Essential Energy using the details below:

How to report abandoned Coles trolleys

Seen an abandoned Coles trolley? To ensure shopping trolleys are kept off the streets and in stores for customers to use, Coles has developed a new method of reporting abandon...