Welcome to Gunnedah! A vibrant, warm and friendly town surrounded by the expansive Liverpool Plains and framed by the Nandewar Ranges.
The Koala Capital of the world offers much more than just our famous furry friends! With a population of approx. 12,826, Gunnedah is a commodity hub and major destination on the intersection of the Kamilaroi Highway Touring Route and Oxley Highway.
Gunnedah also offers excellent lifestyle amenities and embodies a warm welcome that is only found on rural Australia. Gunnedah Shire Council is committed to providing a friendly and helpful service to all stakeholders. We are dedicated to Gunnedah being a liveable and accessible community for all ages and demographics. Additionally, we actively promote economic and business development in the region and are proud to be a one-stop-shop for enquiries regarding our responsibilities under other NSW laws including the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, the Public Health Act and the Companion Animals Act.
Council's functions include:
- Provide for development in the local area.
- Provide for local services and facilities that benefit ratepayers, residents and visitors.
- Protect health and provide for the welfare, wellbeing and interests of the local community.
- Represent and promote the interests of ratepayers and residents.
- Establish and support organisations and programs targeting the local community.
- Protect the environment and improve local amenity.
- Attract and provide infrastructure for commerce, tourism and industry.
- Manage, improve and develop resources available to Council.