Gunnedah Shire Council is now calling on nominations for its 2024 Australia Day Awards.
Chair of the Australia Day Working Group, Councillor Juliana McArthur, encouraged locals to start thinking of who they would like to see recognised for their valuable contributions to the community.
“Now is the time to consider who you would like to nominate for the 2024 Australia Day Awards. We have so many wonderful people living in our Shire doing amazing things. While I respect there may be a wish to stay anonymous, it’s so important to celebrate them. These awards officially recognise them and also serve to inspire others,” she said.
The 13 categories in Gunnedah Shire Council’s Australia Day Awards are:
1. Citizen of the Year Award (21 and over)
2. Young Citizen of the Year Award (20 and under)
3. Ossie and Beryl Campbell Memorial Volunteer of the Year Award
4. Eve Turner Perpetual Trophy
5. Community Achievement Award
6. Cultural Achievement Award
7. Max & Mikie Maas Good Neighbour Award
8. Sports Person of the Year Award (21 and over)
9. Junior Sports Person of the Year Award (20 and under)
10. Junior Sports Team of the Year Award (20 and under)
11. Sports Team of the Year Award
12. Ivan Towns Memorial Award
13. Environmental Citizen of the Year Award (any age).
The 2024 Australia Day Awards Ceremony will be held at 6:30PM at the Gunnedah Town Hall on Thursday 25 January. Special guests will include Australian dancer, performer, TV personality and 2024 Australia Day Ambassador Todd McKenney as well as fun-loving Australian poet Murray Hartin.
Nominations are open at https://www.gunnedah.nsw.gov.au/index.php/business/economic-development/australia-day and will close at 5PM on Friday, 24 November 2023.