Don’t miss your chance to nominate a local legend to carry the Queen’s Baton when it visits Gunnedah next year.
Batonbearer nominations are open for everyday Australians to be part of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) Queen’s Baton Relay (QBR).
Across Australia, 3,800 batonbearers are needed to share the dream of the ‘friendly Games’ as part of the QBR.Starting on 25 December 2017, the Queen’s Baton will travel for 100 days in Australia, visiting Gunnedah on Wednesday, 31 January 2018.
Nominate someone today for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so their achievements don’t go unrecognised.
The GC2018 QBR will be the longest and most engaging in history, visiting communities large, small, urban and regional, giving everyone the opportunity to be part of Australian sporting history.
Batonbearers must be nominated by someone else and nominees must accept their nomination to be considered for the role. It is important to remember that each nomination is judged on merit and all face the judging panel at the same time, so there is still plenty of opportunity to get your nominations in.
“We’re delighted to be a part of an event that will take Gunnedah to the world and I encourage you to nominate a local legend you think deserves to be a Batonbearer, whether they’re an aspiring young person or someone who is already accomplished,” Mayor Jamie Chaffey said.
Batonbearer nominations are open until 11:59pm AEST on 15 May 2017 at https://www.gc2018.com/qbr and don’t forget to check your email to see if you have been nominated.
We are looking for people who:
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017; and
- Are an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018)
Media Contact: Eliza Gallen 6740 2100.